Counter and King Architects were invited to develop designs for the extension and alteration of this locally listed property in the green belt near Radlett.
The original property was a nineteenth century cottage that had been extended in the 1930’s and again the 1980’s.
The two separate 19th and 20th century wings were both extended rearward and a new modern garden room was created at the rear. The two wings of the property are separated by a double height, top-lit entrance hallway with a glazed bridge. The visitor is drawn to the rear by the vertical slot of sky which frames the 100 year old scot pines in the rear grounds. As one approaches the main reception room a horizontal landscape view of the two acre plot is revealed step by step.
The project was awarded a Hertfordshire association of Architects RIBA Commendation in the 2014 awards.